Wednesday, May 10, 2006

almost time for my 'goodbye' song

"Head and shoulders, knees and toes
knees and toes, knees and toes
Head and shoulders, knees and toes,
Stretch up high and wave goodbye!"
I can't begin to count the number of times I've sung that little song at gymnastics over the course of the last nine months. We gather all of the little kids at the end of their gymnastics class, and they sit in a circle on their bums with their toes in the middle while they sing and act out the song. It's so cute watching a group of 3, 4 or 5 year olds sing this little song! There have been a few times where I just want to sit there and listen to them sing it over and over. Or just sit and watch their faces while they sing. Some of the kids make the cutest faces in the world!

Now it's nearing the time when I get to sing my goodbye song to the gym and to these last nine months in Tsawwassen. While it's a little hard to say goodbye to all of the cute little kids that I get to work with everyday, I'm so incredibly excited for what lies ahead. I can't wait to spend my summer at camp with a group of senior high kids that I love so much. I don't know if I've ever held a better job than the job I have lined up for this summer. I'm excited for the opportunity to work my butt off for these kids, to pray & plead for these kids, to love these kids with everything that i've got and with everything that i'm given. What a joy - pure and simple.

Saying goodbye is also exciting because not only am I leaving my job at the gym, but I feel as though I'm starting a new chapter of my life. Nine months ago everything was so different. Nine months ago I had just ended a year and a half relationship, I had a degree but was enrolled in classes that I may or may not have needed for my future, I didn't know where I was going to be living, I didn't know what I wanted to be doing and I didn't have a part-time job. Wow. Nine months ago my life was defined by several uncertainties. Looking back makes me realize how blessed I've been in the last few months. I have a job and a house, and in a few months I'll start training to be a teacher. Where I am now is a far cry from the place of uncertainty that I stood in nine months ago. I guess that's part of the reason why I am excited to start this new chapter of my life. I'm starting out with a greater sense of purpose, more hope, and a strengthened faith. I don't doubt that there will be many more times of uncertainty, but if these last nine months are any indication, I know that I'll be carried through.

Sixteen days from now, I'll sit with a group of four year olds in the middle of the big blue floor and sing my last goodbye song. Never have I been more excited to touch my head, shoulders, knees and toes.

No comments: