Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"ms salt, you're too peppy for me"

it's certainly not something that i've been hiding. clearly, when it comes to teaching and chatting with kids, i'm the one you'll find singing and dancing around a classroom. i laughed the other day when one of my grade ten students told me that i was "too peppy for him". is boring supposedly where it's at when you're teaching? i hope, if anything, my classes are far from boring.

it's certainly been an adventure teaching in my old high school thus far. the one thing that i'm thankful for is that even though i'm spread out over five classrooms in seven blocks, i have five years of sdss under my belt already, so i don't tend to get lost (though i do not venture into the math wing - i may get lost in there as it was built after my time). there are, however, several new spaces that i'm discovering as i become more and more a part of the staff at south delta. there's the hidden french bookroom, the four different photocopy rooms that i use (though there are 8 photocopiers in the school - a random fact for you), the elevator (which i've now actually used), the conference room, the staff washroom (far superior to the other salle des bains), the conference room (which i've now conferenced in) and the staffroom (oh the joys of that place). i've yet to completely adjust to calling all of my old teachers by their first names, but it does make introducing myself far easier when i already know so many of the people.

the one thing that i do love is how excited some of my old teachers are about having me as a part of the teaching staff. just this morning cheryl (brasnett) was knocking on the window of the door between our rooms (i teach one block of french 9 next to her biology class) and giving me the thumbs up while smiling profusely. then there was suzan (olsen) who lent me some of her french immersion 8 students when she saw me carrying textbooks down the hall. she also pokes her head in my room from time to time, waves her arms, and shouts in french to encourage me. oh it's crazy. chris (yang) and i reminisced over how i schooled his science 10 class in his first year of teaching (funny that i'm now in the same position - teaching science 10 in my first year) and brian (outerbridge) and i have had chats about his newest move from braces to retainers and the 'happy summer' cake i and a bunch of people baked him many many summers ago.

i do also love that whenever i walk down the halls, i see someone that i know. i'm sure that it's absolutely bizarre for some of the kids that i know so well outside of school to call me ms./mlle. salt, but i think they're slowly becoming accustomed to it (as i am becoming accustomed to being called ms./mlle. salt). now with my seven blocks of students added into the mix, i'm beginning to know my fair share of people.

anyway, this teacher needs to finish writing the science quiz she's handing out tomorrow and decide more firmly on the keyboarding curriculum that she's going to implement. almost two weeks down and i haven't drowned in my school work yet...

and there's just no changing that 'peppy' business

No comments: