Thursday, September 20, 2007

you stole what??

i'm walking around my science classroom the other day when i notice that one of my students appears to have an uncontrollable case of the giggles whenever i pass by. i pause and check - no, my fly is not undone, i don't have anything smushed in between my teeth, and as far as i can tell i haven't sat in anything that could remain stuck to my butt. i continue walking around trying to think nothing of the giggling (afterall, i do indeed giggle a little myself) but after another minute or two i just have to ask what's going on. through her giggles she manages to get out, "ms. salt.... i stole something of yours....." Uhh... what?! I quickly attempted to brainstorm anything of value that i had with me in the classroom that she might want to steal. When I came up with nothing, I just stood there, staring at her, so incredibly puzzled. Why, oh why, would anyone steal something from their teacher and then tell them about it? Not too sure what to do, and slightly concerned, I checked around the table she was sitting at to see if I could find anything of mine. With no luck, I asked her again what it was that she took, but there was no response through the giggles. Thankfully, one of the boys behind her spotted my coffee mug amidst her things. Now, more confused than ever, I stood there questioning why anyone would want to steal my empty coffee mug of all things. Last I checked it was a coffee mug - nothing too lucrative. Yes, it's covered in pictures of my random adventures with friends around seattle, school, and camp, but it's nothing that I figured anyone would be interested enough in to steal. With my coffee mug returned, she giggled, "Who knows what it's going to be next time, Ms Salt?!" and I shot her a 'teacher glare' while laughing inside. What a strange start to my morning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, love your blog! come visit me and my friend's blog sometime:

www.preteenz.blogspot.com


Aly-

Kiki said...

You changed your blog!!! I don't know how to handle this big change.. It just...takes the wind out of me.... oh my!
Well I miss you and am glad your mug is safe back where it belongs, for goodness knows what an awful day that would be that you couldn't have coffee.... oh I sure know. Yes I do. wish I could have some with you right now even!! love you!

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate! For me it is my Leadership class....they take my water bottle and hide it in random places and then giggle as I search for it...the Grade 11 girls are the worst for it!!