Tuesday, April 18, 2006

British Columbia is "Super!"

Okay, so I was reading a tourism brochure on British Columbia today (it came in the mail, what can i say) and the tagline for B.C. really caught my eye. Maybe you've heard it before? It's been on all of the million dollar commercials that Gordon Campbell has produced to promote this province (please detect the bitterness in that statement). It's "Super, natural British Columbia"

Now don't get me wrong, it's a lovely statement. I'm sure that it has some deeply beautiful meaning. Oh wait, I don't believe that at all. Have you looked at that phrase? Super (comma) natural British Columbia. It implies that British Columbia is both super and natural. Great, my province is super. If there's any way to attract visitors to the province, it's to tell them that it's super! Would you visit "Super Vermont" or "Super Oklahoma"? No, I don't think you would. Calling something super is equivalent to calling it nothing at all. Nothing - it means nothing!!

Then there's the "natural" part. Yipee, my province is natural. Did the government think that we were convinced the province was made out of Silicone or Einsteinium? No, they just tried to think of a catchy tagline to sell the province. Unfortunately, "natural" doesn't really mean a whole lot. Yeah, we have trees, mountains and beaches, but the word "natural" doesn't necessarily imply that.

And if they were trying to imply that British Columbia was "supernatural" they shouldn't have added the comma. Or the space. Is B.C. really supernatural anyway? Is it renowned for its ghost and vampire sightings? Do "other worldly" things happen all of the time?

I think the province needs a new tagline/slogan. Maybe "four years from now we're hosting the olympics". Oh wait, they've already started using that one.

Super, just super.

1 comment:

Kiki said...

I think there is supposed to be a pun on "supernatural" without indicating that God made our land flowing with milk and honey while all he did for Alberta was make it greasy and oily.
That aside, please tell me you are opposed to those "the best place on earth" commercials- because I, for one, love them. everytime they play, my heart stirs up "heck yes i live in the best place on earth! we got mountains and lakes and ocean and people with a horse!"its kinda like when i watch the CIBC commercial with the guy and his pregnant wife and the Chantal Kreviazuk song, and he builds her a nursery....oh tears everytime!